Recently reading...

I'm not someone who usually reads lots of books. I just don't read!! I'm so slow at picking up and processing the words, it's such a tedious task picking up a book, it's not relaxing and just gets me frustrated.

Well, that's how it WAS. These last two months I have got really into reading books, I'VE READ FIVE IN TWO MONTHS?! Which I am very proud of myself for, as before this summer I hadn't read 5 books in the last five years let alone in a number of months.

Although I haven't been reading anything super challenging, after all I've been on summer holidays,  I have read a range of fiction novels, and thoroughly enjoyed them all, so here they are!! I've left a few notes with each of them so I hope they inspire a few of you x

(not ranked!! just in order of when I read them...)

1) Holding up the Universe, by Jennifer Niven
- A teenage love story, it's really heart warming and got me off to a really good start for reading this summer as it was such an easy and enjoyable to read. It's about a boy with prosopagnosia and 'America's fattest teen', whilst reading I thought, many times, how on earth did Niven think this up?! My friend lent me the book whilst we were interrailing, so now I am recommending it to you.

2) Hot Mess, by Lucy Vine
-Bridget Jones-esque story with a feel good really conclusion, (I don't want to be a spoiler so just take my word that the realisation by the end is satisfying). There were some hilarious parts of the book, and although it may seem like a pretty known genre, I wouldn't say that the plot is predictable. Nice to read if you are stressed out etc, as it reminds you that not everything in life goes to plan always!!

3) One of Us is Lying, by Karen M. McManus
- oh I loved this book so much, I always find it hard to get into books, and have never understood when people say they can't put a book down. But now I know. I even took it on the train with me and read it on the bus?! - SO unlike me, I'd much prefer to stare at nothing on social media than get a book out whilst travelling. There is a little bit in it, love, action, scandal, its so so good. I talked about it so much to my friends and family, there is a waiting list for people wanting to borrow my copy of the book.

4) Welcome to Lagos, by Chibundu Onuzo
- It was the cover of the book which made me buy this book, I know you're not supposed to do that, but I thought it looked really cool. Not going to lie, I found it a bit hard to get into at first, I think this was because I had been reading teenage books and just generally 'easy reads' but by the end I was SO into this, it was so interesting. It gave me such an insight into Lagos and the culture, which had never really come up in my life. It initiated many talks with my dad about corruption and other areas, would thoroughly recommend, it was so interesting and once I was into it, I couldn't get out and again 'couldn't put it down'.

5) Ten Dead Comedians, by Fred Van Lente
- Having enjoyed One of Us is Lying so much, I thought I'd get another murder/whodunnit novel, and also thought I'd enjoy something with a bit of comedy in it? The ending was so unexpected, there were so many twists and turns which I would have never have suspected. It's NOT a comedy though, it definitely has funny parts but the fact that all the characters are comedians is sort of beside the point? The point is they're all getting killed off. I also loved the little map of the island at the start of book, I always love when they give you these little visual aids, it's sort of like Cluedo and makes it so much more interactive trying to think of possible explanations.


Comments

Popular Posts